Infrastructure software engineer
San Francisco or remote
Apply for this role
What we're looking for
- You will set the direction for — and help build — the upcoming versions of BaseTen’s cloud infrastructure, which is the backbone of BaseTen and what our users rely on when building machine learning-powered applications.
- You demonstrate fluency with one or more general purpose programming languages, including but not limited to Python, Ruby, or Go.
- You have managed Kubernetes clusters in production settings.
- You understand — and have strong opinions on — security, observability, SLA, and scalability implications, but avoid premature optimization.
- Bonus points: Experience deploying and serving machine learning models, or a strong interest in learning about machine learning.
You're a good fit if you...
- Can own projects end-to-end; engineers and designers at BaseTen also function as PMs, so we’d like everyone on the team to be able to empathize with their users, whether internal or external, understand/write project specs, and manage the end-to-end execution of features.
- Are comfortable with navigating ambiguity and enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
- Are motivated by customer problems and find joy in creating simple, elegant solutions that avoid unnecessary complexity.
- Exercise good judgement on tradeoffs and tools needed to solve the problem and don’t over index on trendy/fashionable tech unless it’s the right tool for the job.
- Demonstrate pride, ownership, and accountability for your work and expect the same from your teammates.
- Bonus points: Experience and desire in growing and leading the infrastructure team.
Our current tech stack
- Infrastructure — AWS + Kubernetes + Kubeflow + Knative + Prometheus
- Backend — Python + Django + Postgres + Redis
- Frontend — React + TypeScript + GraphQL
At BaseTen our mission is to increase the value delivered with machine learning. Our first act is a comprehensive toolset that enables data scientists and engineers to build high-performance, user-centric applications with their machine learning models. These superpowers are already resulting in more models seeing the light of day and delivering value, as opposed to being abandoned in a Jupyter notebook.
We’re a small team including second-time founders, engineers, and designers with experiences at GitHub, Uber, AWS, Yelp, and Twitter. We're backed by top-tier institutional investors and angels, including the founders of OpenAI, DeepMind, and Figma.
Apply for this role
- Top-rate salaries and meaningful equity
- Unlimited vacation time: We encourage everyone to take at least 4 weeks of vacation. And we have a company-wide break between Christmas and New Year's Day.
- Flexible work locations: We have an office in San Francisco but work as a hybrid team in a remote-first way.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family
- Generous parental leave
- 401(k) for you to contribute to